Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

how to make absinthe at home

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by arian
on Sat, 27 Jul 2013 at 19:49

arian said on Sat, 27 Jul 2013 at 19:49...

is there any book or tutorial about making real absinthe ? i'm very interested making absinthe by myself.

Old Nick said on Tue, 13 Aug 2013 at 07:34...

There are no books or such that will tell you how to distill absinthe Why? home distillation is illegal and dangerous. You might find books that treat the subject in a discussion manner of course! There used to be one (although I never had the pleasure of reading it) by the Absinthe Alchemist.

ty9 said on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 at 17:43...

Well maceration is real enough, as there are historic recipes for this style of absinthe. They are called absinthe kits, right? You can brew up your own tincture :-)

Fawny said on Sat, 24 Aug 2013 at 12:45...

Hi to you! can you share the recipe please? I am interested to try it.

Leo said on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 at 13:37...

in my country production of alcohol at home is legal. So I'm making absinthe... I use wormwood, hyssop, Fennel, anise seeds, star anise, calamus, melissa, coriander, and mint. I just macerate them in 95% alcohol for a month and add some morning glory seeds extract and distilled water and this will be my absinthe.

Kamamura said on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 at 00:17...

Proper absinthe must be distilled. Home distillation is illegal in most couintries, not to mention dangerous. If you just macerate wormwood in alcohol, you will get horribly bitter, undrinkable concoction. Good for killing pests, not for much else.

Elsterman said on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 at 08:12...

Home distillation is also 100% legal where I live. You just fill in a form and submit it at the police and then pay a tax fee of $2 per year. You can legally make 40 litres of ethanol a year and cannot sell it, but you can give it away. I disagree that it is dangerous. My grandparents have made white lightning (fruit moonshine) for generations without any incident. Most people I know have a grandfather or a grandfathers friend who still distills every summer....

kmet said on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 at 05:05...

This is not true. Absinthe (wormwood) made by soaking a list of herbs and others is part of an old tradition for medicinal use. It is historically long before using distillation. It is a country brew in some country like Slovenia for example. It will not kill any pet (maybe a butterfly if that is your liking). They put honey (medu) in to sweeten/ the word for wormwood is pelin. It can make you feel very good, but not so drunk.... so you must be careful!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.