Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Absinthe Spoon

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Armagedon
on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 at 20:28

Armagedon said on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 at 20:28...

Can anyone tell me where to get a good absinthe spoon? I have been using a kitchen fork and it lokks kinda dumb. I also saw that you can set fire to the absinte but then i read it was not true. confused....

Old Nick said on Thu, 3 Jul 2008 at 10:18...

Difficult to balance a fork on a glass as well! Absinthe spoons often have liitle grooves in the handle so the the spoon can rest easily on the glass. Not sure where you can buy them as I got mine as a free gift with a bottle :-)

As for fire...ahh. That is a tricky one. The word is that it was invented as a marketing trick in the late 1990s. Others say it dates back to the days when absinthe was taken as a medicine and is older than the aperitif culture. What I do know is that lots of people do it and enjoy it, so where is the harm? Of course it will damage your absinthe spoon a bit and you'll need to clean that spoon. Setting fire to a sugar cube soaked in absinthe on a spoon will also impart a caramel flavour...could be nice.

Tony said on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 at 19:53...

You can find a full selection of absinthe ware here:

http://www.absintheonthenet.com/servlet/StoreFront

:-) said on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 at 12:02...

try

www.absinthehoney.com as they ship you free sugar cubes with your order

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 at 09:55...

Absinthe spoon first appeared during the latter part of 19th century I think, before the spoon absinthe was sweetened with syrup and before that mixed up with sweet wines. Spoons are very much part of the Paris cafe scene, there are absinthe spoon holders and so forth. Marie Delahaye (not sure about spelling of her name) is the authority of absinthe spoons and collected them from Paris flea markets. Thesedays the original antique varieties command a good price!

Anonymous said on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 at 13:17...

which is the best absinthe spoon for the czech fire ritual?

La Fee Vertigo said on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 at 08:27...

A strong one. Absinthe spoons are alright for ritual but most absinthe is too sweet today anyway. I like bitter things, bitter and twisted ;-)

Old Nick said on Fri, 23 Apr 2010 at 21:45...

Absinthe spoons are rated by an index created by Marie-Claude Delahaye, although I am not sure if she has any spoon for the absinthe fire ritual!

Hungry Hipster said on Thu, 9 Jun 2016 at 15:04...

The so called "Czech Absinth" fire ritual was first spotted in a nightclub in Prague before absinth (or absinthe) was legal. As it happened they had never banned absinthe in Czechoslovakia so a man called Hill started making some for a theater group. It caught on. The absinthe spoon is placed on the glass and then the absinthe is poured in over a cube, then set on fire, it drips caramelized sugar into the glass. Many folks think it is bogus and get really angry about it. So like there are many things to loose your top about but caramel and absinth??

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.