Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

getting started with absinthe, what's wrong with me?

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Martina
on Sat, 20 Feb 2016 at 19:44

Martina said on Sat, 20 Feb 2016 at 19:44...

Okay, so I got fascinated with absinthe. The most notorious drink in history, banned for 100 years in France, Switzerland, Belgium and the US. Anything with that reputation I've got to try. So I bought some. I now have six bottles of it, and not cheap stuff either.

Jade PF 1901
Jade VS 1898
Jade L'Esprit d'Edouard
Duplais Swiss Absinthe Verte
Artemisia-Bugnon Distillery "La Clandestine" Absinthe Superieure
Jade Liqueurs "C. F. Berger" Absinthe Superieure

I've yet to have one drop of any of it. Why? Because I don't have a fountain yet! Now I'm quite sure anyone else would have gone into it by now, but I can't. I ordered the fountain, but it's not here yet. It's a 4 spout #2 traditional fountain from I Heart Absinthe. It's going to take a week or more to get here..... arrrrrgggghhhh!

I have the glasses, the spoons, the sugar cubes, and of course the absinthe, but if I can't do it the traditional way with the whole ritual I'm not doing it, because I have this cultural/tradition obsession running, and can't bring myself to go around it.

I'd like to think I'm not alone in this..... anyone?

The Bobster said on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 at 12:49...

You do not need an absinthe fountain, end of. Just make sure you use very cold iced water and drip slowly so that the "louche" - the emulsification and subsequent release of the herbal qualities is achieved.

Absinthe fountains are all very well for a party, or what have you, but an absinthe dripper will also work, as will a steady hand :-)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.