Oxford Ball morphs into Beargarden
Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum
Topic created by Hubert's Horn
on Sat, 25 May 2013 at 17:21
Hubert's Horn said on Sat, 25 May 2013 at 17:21...
This caught my eye:
According to media reports a night of "decadence, debauchery, and indulgence" turned into a fiasco of bizarre proportions, here are the highlights from the Last Ball at Somerville College, Oxford:
1. Cost 150 quid for a ticket
2. Bands and whatnot did not show up
3. Plans to display a live shark were ditched...after complaints! Ha! A live shark!
4. Most booze ran out by 1.00am - the "do" was to last until 5.00. There was rum though...yuk!
5. "Vegetarians went hungry, with pita bread and cupcakes acting as measly substitutes for the previously mentioned hog roast." Eh? Nut roast surely?
6. "burnt skin and dresses, caused by crowds waiting around the hog roast for up to an hour"
7. Revelers got stuck in a maze as bottlenecks occurred
Who remembers Jos Sedley at Valhalla Pleasure Gardens on the "rack punch"
ty9 said on Mon, 27 May 2013 at 19:47...
Where are the Valhalla Pleasure Gardens exactly? Were they planning to put the shark on the spit I wonder. That is an awful fish, best to dress it raw as a ceviche.
Old Nick said on Tue, 28 May 2013 at 09:00...
Maybe it is a reference to Vauxhall? More interesting is the reference to rack punch.
2 measures of rum
3 measures of arak
6 measures of water
The "rack" comes from the European spelling of arrack. Who wants to try it at a barbeque? Sounds like an interesting historical brew.
Bibi la Puree said on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 at 15:58...
The Chinese like to make soup from the fin. Not pleasant...poor old shark gets his fin chopped off at sea and they often chuck the dying creature back in the drink. I saw it on telly so it is true. The documentary was made by that chef that gets angry and has a face like an elephant's scrotum.
Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.