Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Absinthe wine

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR
on Sun, 5 May 2013 at 20:21

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sun, 5 May 2013 at 20:21...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Vin d' absinthe, or absinthe wine, is made as follows according to a very basic little antique piece of ephemera:

6 lites bon vin blanc
50 grammes de grand et petite absinthe

Faire infuser 24 heures, passer avec expression et filtrer

6 lites good white wine + 50 grams of Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia pontica - infuse for 24 hours and filter.

The document has a bunch of children looking at what may be a biscuit tin? I am thinking that there must be a bit more to this than just the above recipe. Does anyone know? Have you tried it?

ty9 said on Mon, 6 May 2013 at 11:37...

It is sometimes called Vin Pelin. What is striking about the recipe (apart from it's bare bones simplicity) is the lack of any sugar. Good white wine means in my book something that is not too sweet, so goodness knows what the resulting wine infusion is going to be like. I was also wondering if this isn't one of those one tea spoon type tinctures for bilious kids or something (hence the biscuit tin etc)

Hmmm..I have a suspicion that the wormwood was added to ancient world wines to mask any imperfections....like vinegar does to fish that is on the turn. Not such a pleasant thought, perhaps it isn't meant to be enjoyed...

Old Nick said on Wed, 29 May 2013 at 11:40...

You know I think that there is an ancient tradition of wormwood wine in some parts of South East Europe - it has a very particular name "May Worwood" or Pelin de Mai perhaps? You can surmise that it involves Artemisia absinthium harvested in that month. I share the suspiscion that it is just a digestive tincture and not necessarily something to be savored, although it would be nice to find a more complex variety.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Thu, 30 May 2013 at 10:14...

Thanks!! Radu Antoin Roman in Dishes, wines and Romanian customs, Paideia, 1998. apparently covers the subject and "the most successful recipe uses wormwood".... "creates a very pleasant drink to taste." The book apparently contains some recipes as well.

Miss22 said on Sun, 2 Jun 2013 at 10:13...

So I have found one recipe for your absinthe wine: "Boil one pound-weight of wormwood, with four fextarii of muft, till one part of it be boiled away: what remains of it, put it cold into a urn of Aminean muft"

I am not sure if one should use five fextarii and be sure to use good quality muft. I get my Aminean at a local store. Sorry to be flippant, no idea what this means!

Milly Mac said on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 at 15:35...

So what is "penny royal"?

ty9 said on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 at 09:00...

Talking of ancient wines...check out this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/22/italy-wine-archaeology

"The team has faithfully followed tips on wine growing given by Virgil in the Georgics, his poem about agriculture, as well as by Columella, a first century AD grower, whose detailed guide to winemaking was relied on until the 17th century."

c-los said on Sun, 22 Jun 2014 at 16:32...

hi guys umm my girlfriends and i usually throw small get togethers and drink and get messed up but lately the usual generic brands dont cut it anymore. i have read everything you guys say about the low quality of american absinthe but one question. while it's watered down, does it still work ? like my friend said european absinthe is really really strong and shew would like to have some during the summer so of course im looking at my options but i want to know before i spend any money if american absinthe will still get you really drunk and if not, where can i get some authentic stuff ? contact me with your imput at sirussp@gmail.com thank you

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.