Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Anise bombs watch out....

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Bob Fleming
on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 at 17:59

Bob Fleming said on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 at 17:59...

Having or exerting control or power / predominant. Well me hearties there are plenty of old Swiss grannies who exert control over Aa with their anise.

"Absinthe is a spirit drink produced by flavouring ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin or distillate of agricultural origin with absinthe wormwood in combination with other plants, such as Roman wormwood, anise, fennel, hyssop, mint or in combination with other plants, provided that their taste is not predominant,”

"or in combination with" is a carte blanche for modern weirdness...it's all good.

Bibi la Puree said on Sun, 17 Feb 2013 at 17:05...

There are plenty of people who think absinthe is ouzo with added wormwood, yeah. The reason is quite simple it is easier to sell as a mass market drink (ie not medicinal and bitter) Personally I never drink anise laced liquor unless in the company of a moustachioed gent by the side of a sea that suggests "wine dark" Plates of olives, herb fragrant lamb, and octopus help as well.

Bash Street said on Fri, 15 Mar 2013 at 20:57...

Here's Reuters!

Charles Baudelaire and Ernest Hemingway may well turn in their graves.

Absinthe, the green-tinged alcohol that fuelled poets, writers and artists in 19th century France, does not have to contain its most important ingredient to be labeled "absinthe", the European Parliament decided on Wednesday.

In a vote, lawmakers declared there was no need for the spirit to contain a minimum amount of thujone, the wormwood plant toxin that is believed to give it its peculiar intensity.

For devotees of the drink, often referred to as "la fee verte" (the green fairy) for its supposed psychedelic properties, the decision goes against tradition.......

ty9 said on Sun, 5 May 2013 at 07:10...

I believe this has all been reversed now. I am also suspicious of these absinthe related news releases as they often look cobbled together by a trainee. I wonder what the actual facts of the matter are...

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.