Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Absinthe kit

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Ludovicus
on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 at 17:48

Ludovicus said on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 at 17:48...

Dear all,

I recently relocated and I would like to buy a good absinthe kit. Namely, I need a fountain, some glasses and spoons, and sugar cubes. Do you know a good online store which ships to the UK? In general, what do you recommend?

Any tips/suggestions are very welcome!

Very best

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 7 Nov 2012 at 20:25...

An absinthe kit usually means a home brew, I guess you mean an absinthe set.

Rusty said on Sun, 2 Dec 2012 at 17:43...

Can you make absinthe with an absinthe kit? I mean is it good?

AngelofAbsinthe said on Tue, 4 Dec 2012 at 19:55...

Short answer is yes...if you know what you are doing.

Georgie said on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 at 11:19...

I just bought an absinthe kit for a gift :-) I was wondering is it easy to make absinthe and if there was anything else I needed to get in addition. Quite cool as it comes gift wrapped!

Toto said on Tue, 1 Jan 2013 at 17:24...

You need a high proof spirit to macerate it I guess.

BarGirl said on Fri, 19 Apr 2013 at 07:13...

Sounds like a cool idea making your own absinthe! Is it easy to do with a kit or do you need some special skills or equipment?? I have just become interested in absinthe due to a work project, but this sounds like it could be fun to do at home!

ZX81 said on Tue, 17 Sep 2013 at 11:54...

You can actually make absinthe using one of these kits. I bought one last year and it turned out well. One thing is you need to balance the macerate with syrup or the tried and tested sugar cube and spoon trick :-)

Bibi la Puree said on Thu, 10 Oct 2013 at 09:20...

The alcohol that is used to extract the natural elements in the steeping pack is V important to start with. Do not use cheap vodka and really you can use Everclear but I think it's best with Spritus (difficult to find of course as they are not allowed to ship it out of Poland) Poland is where you will find the longest history of this type of absinthe kit style maceration going on. It was basically a sort of elixir made on the farm. This is going back to the absinthe's roots as a medicinal tincture. It is, if dome correctly, a surprising delight.

Woodman said on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 at 14:07...

Absinthe kits are OK and good fun as well. The one thing to remember is bitterness. This is not as it sometimes seems: wormwood is a bitter herb and there is no getting away from that. Many of the great cuisines of the world have a bitter element, the absinthe just needs balancing with sugar or honey. Balance is all important. Some of the new modern absinthe wonders are far too sweet anyway (and nothing like the original). Get this balance right and you will be fine. Back in the old days there was a syrup (called a gumme I think) that was available to drinkers in bars serving absinthe.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.