Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Achtung! Swiss formally annex FeeVertenland

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Tante Leen
on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 at 10:33

Tante Leen said on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 at 10:33...

The militant Swiss Federation have seized the peace loving Green Fairy under an historical myth that her blood line is pure Swiss:

“Absinthe, Fée verte and La Bleue evoke an ‘eau-de-vie’ traditionally associated with the Val-de-Travers region which has built the reputation of this product. There is no question of accepting demands for an extension of the geographical region given that a tradition has not been proven in other regions.”

The PGI designation means only liquid produced in Swizzerland may be called absinthe. The Federal Agriculture Office have seized "absinthe", "Fée verte" and La Bleue"

Fraulein Fee Verte issued a signed statement from her "protected dwelling house" in Neuchâtel where she is being watcjed over by zealous Swiss money counters:

"I was always told by my wicked grandmama that she was French! but it seems I am pure Swiss after all. Long Live our beloved Motherland! Long live Switzerland and The Swiss Franc!"

ty9 said on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 at 17:24...

Idi Amin used to award himself medals. Now the Swiss FOAG decorate themselves with an IGP ((indications géographiques protégées) :-(

La Fee Vertigo said on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 at 08:29...

What about Pernod-Ricard? They are really going to get pushed around by a bunch of Swiss farmers with pitchforks...

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 at 16:11...

Here's the telling statement:

"The Swiss absinthe makers' organisation said it was delighted at the decision but its ultimate aim was to see the drink elevated to the same hallowed status as French champagne or cognac"

So, some old quack in a Swiss village once borrowed a well known elixir from a long tradition (wormwood water etc). The Pernod dynasty, who planted and fed much of absinthe pseudo-history in their own interest, then mass marketed it. Now we have a nasty little turf war based upon the desire to turn "Fraulein Fee Verte" into an alcoholic aristocrat, even though she was always an unruly commoner. What a load of @#$*

This is quite awful. I was just reading some red hot angry blogs and seeing comments like this:

"Because despite all of our efforts in WW2, it seems the fascists won anyhow. Somewhere Mussolini is laughing his ample ass off"

WOW! Ignorance, greed, and a side salad of hypocrisy please.

Old Nick said on Sun, 19 Aug 2012 at 08:02...

"some old quack in a Swiss village"

Pardon?

La Fee Vertigo said on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 at 21:04...

Mere Henriod is my guess! I know some people think the whole absinthe history story has as many holes as a Swiss cheese....mainly the French?

Anonymous said on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 at 08:34...

"a tradition has not been proven" lol what utter BS that is! The tradition of the VdT is bootlegging. The old fantasies are coming and biting the hand that fed them! Moral? Don't make up fairy tales as they tend to transform into hard fact when money is the driver.

ty9 said on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 at 16:00...

What has Mussolini got to do with it?

Robert said on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 at 08:24...

Can't you read? He is laughing (somewhere) about the implicit fascism of absinthe. It only makes sense if you read it in the context of Alexei Sayle's opus. In addition his ass is ample.

Old Nick said on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 at 12:01...

In fact the quote is aimed at a French gent! Context is Big Macs (and all that) vs French cuisine and artistry. It is an American blogger called Andrew Patrick taking offense at video about absinthe. Andrew qualifies that the United States does not only have Big Macs but:

"McD’s, BK, Checkers, Chik-Fil-A, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Sonic, Five Guys, In-n-Out Burger"

Touche! He also uses the term "to wit" in his blog post.

Tante Leen said on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 at 09:38...

You can eat a very bad meal in France very easily, there is lots of choice. The waiters are not full of sunshine! You can eat very well (at good price) in the USA - they have some good nosh.

Anonymous said on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 at 20:52...

"built the reputation of this product"

Name those well known historical Swiss absinthe drinkers! Those famous historic brands. Try to buy a bottle of absinthe in Geneva....good luck nobody drinks it.

La Fee Vertigo said on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 at 09:50...

Jean Lanfray, Heidi....oh the list goes on! Sure enough the famous artists and poets who did build the reputation of absinthe were not drinking Swiss, or were they??

ty9 said on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 at 19:18...

I wonder which absinthe they served at Moulin Rouge...Swiss La Bleue!

ettubrute said on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 at 11:26...

Andrew Patrick lol I just found him using the miracle of the McWeb!!

"I have a peculiar curiosity, not to say fascination, with William Seward Burroughs...I still can’t make it more than ten pages into Nova Express without wanting to throw the book across the room after lighting it on fire."

"The stultifying middlebrow bourgeois" etc etc

It must be truly awful to be a tortured genius, I personally have never suffered the terrifying affliction of burning book syndrome (BS). The incandescent combustible rage that engulfs the hipster is comic and tragic all at once. One medic advises the following remedy:

"lie upon the daisies and discourse in novel phrases of your complicated state of mind, The meaning doesn't matter if it's only idle chatter
of a transcendental kind"

Frank said on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 at 13:52...

The European Spirits Organisation & French Spirit Federation launch an appeal at Federal Court in Switzerland...

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.