Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Absinthe makes you....hug

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Old Nick
on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 at 10:31

Old Nick said on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 at 10:31...

hug someone...propose marriage to strangers? This is according to the Honurable Geo. W. Peck :-) circa 1905

"Here in France it is different. The people have nervous prostration to start on, start a campaign on champagne, wind up on absinthe, and after the votes are counted go to an insane asylum. I do not know what first got dad to drink absinthe and I don't know what it is, but it looks like soap suds, tastes like seed cookies and smells like vermifuge. But it gets there just the same and the result of drinking it is about the same as the result of drinking anything in France it makes you want to hug somebody.

At home when a man gets full of whisky, he wants to hug the man he drinks with and weep on his collar, and then hit him on the head with a bottle; but here every kind of drink puts the drinker in condition to want to hug. Dad says he never knew he had a brain until he learned to drink absinthe, but now he can close his eyes and see things worse than any mince pie nightmare, and when we go out among people he never sees a man at all, but when a woman passes along, dad's eyes begin to take turns winking at them and it is all I can do to keep him from proposing marriage to every woman he sees. "

I am very curious about a mince pie nightmare! Wonder what that means?

ty9 said on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 at 13:40...

Amusing observation about the mood of a whisky drinker :-) Guessing that mince refers to chopped meat in pastry (not the sweet kind) therefore a heavy dish prone to cause vivid dreams? Just a guess..

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 at 18:49...

Whisky = wholesome bar room brawls
Absinthe = dangerous, emotional ....and makes you think according to the author!

Yep, mince pies refer to heavy food (there are warnings about them giving you a bad nights sleep in folk remedy books)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.