Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Best Absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Lauren
on Sat, 22 Oct 2011 at 15:20

Lauren said on Sat, 22 Oct 2011 at 15:20...

Hi

I wonder if you folks can suggest which is the best absinthe? I am not at all sure which to choose. As a newbie to the absinthe world I wanna choose the best for the first try :-)

x

Lauren

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 at 15:48...

It depends on your definition of best, Lauren. Do you like the flavor of anise for example? Is the louche of an absinthe (the spectacle) important? In fact are you intending to drink that absinthe as a cocktail? and so on. What absinthe is best for effect?

Old Nick said on Mon, 31 Oct 2011 at 10:41...

The louche an indication of what is best in absinthe.... not really It's only the oils in the absinthe emulsifying after contact with chilled water. Shock white is a sign of anise oil (and sometimes chemical wonders of the modern age!) A rounded yellow amber lime seems to be the best louche...for me.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Fri, 4 Nov 2011 at 19:26...

Hmmm.. the louche is a high overrated affair IMHO. I can see the attraction of watching the spirals dancing in the absinthe, but too much credence is placed on it. There is a truly terrible absinthe (certainly not a best in show) with a rather clever louche and it is not natural.

La Fee Vertigo said on Sat, 5 Nov 2011 at 12:54...

As with many things in life, artisan made is best! Not everyone can find HG though, unless you chance upon an old Swiss fellow with a surprise in his basement.

Old Nick said on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 at 12:05...

Hausgemacht absinthe. That's Swiss is it! Think about it...French speaking canton..would they call it that in Val de Travers?

Tante Leen said on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 at 16:05...

That means homemade in the German tongue. In French I do not know! Maybe Fabrique dans le Maison?

La Fee Vertigo said on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 at 13:13...

What do they call the best Suisse absinthe moonshine though! Nick is right they don't speak that tongue below the rosti belt.

Arty said on Wed, 11 Jan 2012 at 12:19...

You punch below the rosti belt, Fee. Swiss absinthe is by no means the best absinthe by any standards. Kubler! one dimensional anise-rich and in your face etc. and the list goes on. All things Swiss are better than European....errrrr NO. Chocolate? better in Belgium! Wine....give me a break! Cheese? Nah! French is far better and fondue gives you heartburn.

LuLu said on Mon, 23 Jan 2012 at 16:38...

I too have yet to indulge in the infamous Asinthe. I was all ready to run to my local liquor store to snag a bottle. Thankfully, I am a freak when it comes to researching my libations! My excitement level immediately dropped when I found the absinthe marketed in the United States is in fact NOT the genuine article. My interest waned as I wasn't going abroad anytime soon.

I don't know what happened here in 2012 but I am now obsessed with getting my hands on a bottle of the 'true article.' I want to splurge and go for the Century 100, however that will require squirreling up my pennies. Can anyone recommend an authentic, REAL absinthe that won't completely break my bank on my first time up to bat? I would greatly appreciate it as I am getting dizzy reading all of the conflicting pages of info on the subject.

Anddd...I can not forget to thank Ms. Jekyll for helping open my eyes a bit!
Great site.

The Informer said on Fri, 10 Feb 2012 at 01:10...

www.wormwoodsociety.com
www.feeverte.net

Go to faqs. Read Read Read. You will be educated and this whole "thujone" myth will exit your mind. You'll save money too.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.