Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Meet pastis's reckless cousin...absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Old Nick
on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 at 10:43

Old Nick said on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 at 10:43...

There is a piece in the UK Guardian today about the decline in pastis:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/23/new-europe-france-pastis-under-pressure

Interesting that the article mentions that Pernod hope to sell their absinthe alongside luxury champagne and single malt whisky. Another little insight, the Chinese dislike pastis because of the anise! Of course as we all know the predominant flavour in absinthe (wormwood) is in fact anise.....oh no it isn't...oh yes it is etcetra.

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 4 Apr 2011 at 11:25...

I enjoy pastis (anise) and I also enjoy absinthe (wormwood). I don't enjoy pastis that is mislabeled as absinthe. What is more if pastis becomes trendy I will stop drinking it - I don't run with the herd THANK YOU Mr Pernod.

That line about the Chinese disliking anise reads to me like pure BS. A quick think about Chinese cuisine might give you another answer.

ty9 said on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 at 09:16...

I am guessing you are talking about "Five Spice"? :-) It contains star anise and even fennel! Actually it is the American palate that finds anise challenging. For once I agree with LFV!

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 at 10:52...

Lazy journalism maybe? It is indeed said that US consumers do not like absinthe 'cus of the LICORICE flavor. Licorice = medicine etc. Not all absinthe is a licorice / anise bomb though! The hyper licorice profile is added for the modern taste, to tone down the natural symphony of wormwood. Not liking licorice / anise does not mean you do not like absinthe (aka wormwood)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.