Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

absinthe kit review

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by rory miller
on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 at 09:14

rory miller said on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 at 09:14...

hello all

I was wondering if anybody had tried making absinthe with an absinthe kit and has any helpful reviews or comments. There is an article about these absinthe kits - Make Absinthe (With the Help of a Kit) Phoenix New Times
Any ideas??????

rory

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 at 10:46...

There are two kinds of abinthe kits

1. Little bottles of "essence" that you mix with vodka :-(
2. Herbal steeping absinthe kits :-)

2. is the best IF the herbal blend is correct. There are many herbal doctor recipes for this maceration technique from the late 19th century. They work out great value and **IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING** they produce a really nice product. Post maceration filtration is important and so is storage during the extraction process (dark and cold works best in airtight container) for absinthe kits.

Jonas said on Thu, 7 Oct 2010 at 08:17...

We have just finished an Absinthe kit batch from Absolutely Absinthe. It came out really nicely, and it definitely has more Wormwood (or enough of whatever) to give a high effect, one way beyond the basic alcohol. The effect is a stimulanting buzz plus there is a relaxing - loss of anxiety - element as well. It’s also kinda chatty :-) so hanging out and having a chat with a few friends is good. Weird thing though - no hangover at all! Fresh as a spring flower today :-)

Josey said on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 at 03:45...

In the process of preparing absinthe using a Green Devil absinthe kit. I'll let you know whether I go blind but so far it's looking good.

dick_n_cider said on Thu, 17 Mar 2011 at 14:24...

Recently I came across your site, and perhaps you can help me with a climate control
problem I'm having. I have been involved in the adult film industries for some years
and due to my advancing years I have been forced to make certain changes to compete
with an ever growing influx of younger entertainers. The solution was to have a penis
enlargement, which was very successful, however, with the dramatic enlargement there
seems to be a slight blood flow problem and my penis just will not stay warm in the
winter, and will not stay cool in the summer. Perhaps a level three energy audit may
revile the problems, thereby reviling a solution. My thoughts on this from from an energy
standpoint, could it be possible to evacuate the air from the penis and replace it with
argon gas forming sort of a "low-e" situation? Perhaps even small solar panels to be worn
on my head to power a small HVAC unit? At any rate you are the professionals and I put my
penis in your hands. My professional livelihood is on the line and I could really use your
services. When we meet in person remember due to the enlargement of my penis it will arrive
20 minutes before I do, so please remember this when scheduling an appointment.

Thank you, I remain, Dick N Cider.

forrest said on Thu, 15 Sep 2011 at 21:44...

bought a kit from absinthekits.org mixed 1/2 everclear, 1/2 svedka. and followed the directions. the resulting mixture turned out almost amber colored and tastes pretty horrible in my attempt a mixing it. not sure if i did something wrong, or if this is supposed to be like this (first experience with absinthe) I might make another batch using a different kit for comparison. any recomendations?

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 21 Sep 2011 at 08:06...

The "pretty horrible" taste comes from the wormwood which MAYBE (a) is not of the best quality and (b) has not been blended with the correct balancing botanicals in the recipe. How did you filter it? Wormwood is a plant that needs to be grown at a high altitude, harvested correctly, dried correctly, and introduced to others in the right proportion. It can produce an angel or a monster in maceration. Or are you talking about those awful essences?

Floyd said on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 at 21:48...

Not sure what to make of some of the comments above! Anyway I was wondering about brewing up some absinthe using a kit in my yard, like in a tub? is that good?? what do I need to get..thnak you

Old Nick said on Wed, 8 May 2013 at 08:09...

Yes, rather odd! You would not be able to brew absinthe in a tub. You need a glass container and it needs to be properly airtight. Also, when you use these absinthe maceration kits you need to make sure to keep the container in a cool and dark place. I don't think that a yard will be any good, a cellar perhaps or the garage would suit. There is an interesting tradition of these absinthe wormwood brews (although I am no expert on them) but they are good fun and produce a heady tincture! They are a great way of tasting the natural elements. The other one to try, apart from this absinthe wine, is purl. Purl is a traditional wormwood ale :-)

Callum said on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 at 18:16...

- loss of anxiety -

Oh, well anxiety is usually a post alcohol state. If you are experiencing anxiety when drinking, I would not like to around you. You mean euphoria, and then the plunge I guess. It does seem that thujone corrects this state and mellows it...no big up and no big down as with just alcohol. I suppose this is the secret of the green fairy. Of course absinthe will let the mind wander, it is quite good for problem solving...ah to use a cliche "thinking outside the box" It is probable that maceration is a good technique then as distillation (heat) will obviously dampen the natural wormwood that is likely causing this effect. I have never tried one of these absinthe kits maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.