Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Salamander Brandy

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR
on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 at 20:40

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 at 20:40...

Have you ever heard of Salamander Brandy 'cus I haven't! Apparently it is a...wait for it.....hallucinogenic aphrodisiac spirit from Slovenia. It is made with rotten fruit and a forset dwelling salamander with yellow spots! The oils that this beast secretes is what gives this brandy it's properties. Rather like toad licking but in a bottle! It is not commercially available but is apparently got through "contacts" in Slovenian villages. Whereas absinthe is a reputed aphrodisiac it seems that Salamander Brandy is almost certainly one. Have any of you booze hounds supped this Macbeth style booze?

Old Nick said on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 at 08:27...

The name rings a bell :-) The process of making this "brandy" is a real horror story. Those poor salamanders are put into the rotting fruit and locked in a barrel. They they slide around, until dead, coating the fruit with their body fluids! There is another recipe which claims that the salamaders fight each other to death! There are lots of myths about this drink you know! A certain person who was making ancient bitters says she had a glass of salamader brandy in Germany. Yes, it is hallucinogenic apparently. I wouldn't touch this stuff, nor buy any drink which involves dead critters i.e those snake / scorpion and all that! This is really folk medicine.....just like absinthe I guess.

ty9 said on Sun, 13 Jun 2010 at 10:16...

Any idea what is that causes the hallucinations?

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 at 09:22...

Is this a thujone producing lizard of some kind perhaps. Salamander brandy is the booze equivalent of foie gras :-( I f@#$ing hate this kind of barbaric cruelty; salamanders are so cute as well. You know the chinese eat live fish by gently cooking it alive and keeping it going at the table by wrapping it in a wet cloth. :-( >:-(

ty9 said on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 at 20:35...

That last remark is really disgusting (it sounds like the one about eating monkey brains) are you sure it is not an urban myth? Obviously salamanders do not contain thujone!

La Fee Vertigo said on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 at 07:08...

Urban myth NOT. Salamanders may not contain thujone but what do Slovenians use to color the brandy??????? Answer: WORMWOOD.

Old Nick said on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 at 08:15...

LFG is right! They do use wormwood for colour. Slovenian farmers macerate wormwood to make their brandy "palatable" and less of a strain for the stomach. It also gives the drink a "yellow hue" They age it with wormwood actually.

SOURCE: SALAMANDER BRANDY: A PSYCHEDELIC DRINK MADE IN SLOVENIA

Pelinkovac is also available in this region so I guess they like the taste too. Rural folks making psychedelic brews using salamanders and wormwood........rather interesting.

La Fee Vertigo said on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 at 21:27...

I am often right but dimwits don't pick up the subtle clues.

ty9 said on Sun, 4 Jul 2010 at 18:53...

Here is another reptile based horror, Hejie Jiu. They use geckos and it is from China, the poor critter is steeped in whiskey for a year.

Wolf said on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 at 09:25...

Salamander brandy is a medieveal concoction for invoking and also exorcising demonic spirits. The area where it comes from in Slovenia was a hotbed of witchcraft. Salamander also has historic importance in alchemy due to its ability to survive forest FIRES, and is tangled up with a metaphor about sexual temptation (FIRE = lust) and maiden chastity. Keep your woman out of mischief by administering Salamander booze lol

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.