Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Swiss Absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by ty9
on Thu, 1 Apr 2010 at 06:40

ty9 said on Thu, 1 Apr 2010 at 06:40...

Swiss absinthe has declared that it has “protected geographic designation”
meaning that only products made in the Val de Travers can be labeled and sold as absinthe. I am not really sure what this means? What about all the French and Spanish absinthe?

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 5 Apr 2010 at 10:44...

French call their absinthe something else -- as not allowed to call it absinthe.
Spanish use the term absenta for absinthe.

Ou est le probleme?

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 6 Apr 2010 at 08:53...

Does this effect buying absinthe in the European Union or just Switzerland?

Old Nick said on Wed, 7 Apr 2010 at 11:53...

I think if you buy absinthe in Switzerland it will need to come from the Val de Travers. There is a 3 month period for other parties to put objections. It is unclear if this has an effect on the European Union, as I understand it this instrument means a legal conflict with other EU members. Also, absinthe is not only made in the Val de Travers but in other Swiss cantons as well, so what about them? Puzzling...

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 at 09:10...

What I hear now is that nobody but the Swiss will be able to produce a product called absinthe.

Ode To Swiss Absinthe

When the morning skies grow green,
and over us their radiance seen
Thou, O Absinthe, appeareth in thy might
when the alps glow bright with splendor,
pray to Mammon, the French surrender
for you shall feel and understand
All those sweaty francs in our hand.

ty9 said on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 at 13:40...

Who told you that then? Heidi's grandfather?

La Fee Vertigo said on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 at 08:09...

Unfortunately that venereal old gentleman has gone before.

ty9 said on Tue, 25 May 2010 at 09:29...

Never mind about Grandpa Clap. The French absinthe makers are involved in some legal wrange about fennel and the name absinthe via a US lawyer.

La Fee Vertigo said on Fri, 28 May 2010 at 21:28...

"Switzerland and the European Union are bound by several treaties, including the Agreement on Exchange of Agricultural Products dated April 30, 2002, and in particular, Appendix 8 relating to Wines and Spirits. As a result, E.U. producers will soon no longer be able to use the word "absinthe" as a product description. It's likely that this restriction would be extended to US producers (and in practice distributors) as well"

Ooooh!

ty9 said on Wed, 2 Jun 2010 at 11:24...

You are well informed (or just plain nosey) where do you have this info from? I just spent some time looking and spotted this

"My recipies are a subtle mixture of ten aromatic plants of which naturally the big woodworm of my region: "Val-de-Travers"

Who is the big woodworm that is creating this Swiss absinthe mafia style turf war then?

La Fee Vertigo said on Fri, 4 Jun 2010 at 08:26...

About the fenchone fennel, they fought the French law and they won. As to who is the big woodworm: who knows.......it is all smoke and mirrors with these machinating absinthe divas. Swiss farmers are not the most sophisticated or worldly folks you know (hint) Anyway I hope you lika da Swiss absinthe as soon there will be none other!

Sante, or give me your monet as they say in Suisse. Did you know that Swisser George de Menstral-Bicyclette invented velcro! This is a land of many claims to fame, neutrality during 2nd WW (and financial services also available) hiding money for 3rd world despots, crooks etc, rampant xenophobia, obsessive desire for cleanliness (out damn spot!) + Heidi. Now they will have exclusive rights to absinthe as well as toblerone.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.