Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Famous Absinthe Drinkers

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Old Nick
on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 at 09:10

Old Nick said on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 at 09:10...

Please nominate your all time famous absinthe drinker and give reasons for your choice. I am currently deciding between Strinberg & Rimbaud.......

ty9 said on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 at 10:37...

Ernest Hemingway on account of his absinthe cocktail, Death in The Afternnon. StrinDberg was a misogynist :-( Didn't he say something about the taste of absinthe being like sucking a brass button? Ernest Cabaner and Alfred Jarry are also 2 & 3 on my list of famous absinthe drinkers. Cabaner was pianist like me :-) and Jarry was mad as a hatter.

Anonymous said on Sat, 27 Feb 2010 at 21:22...

Bibi La Puree, because he stole umbrellas

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 at 17:38...

It was not Strindberg with the brass taste of absinthe! ---->Huysmans.

ty9 said on Mon, 1 Mar 2010 at 09:21...

"a metal button slowly sucked" ..sounds unpleasant.

Anonymous said on Thu, 11 Mar 2010 at 16:34...

Joseph Alois Ratzinger, because he wears red shoes.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 at 09:46...

I would like to know what evidence you have for saying that the Pope is an absinthe drinker! Of course this is probably just a trap so that you can offend others, troll! I also suspect that the arcane reference to red shoes is another "troll landmine".........

Anonymous said on Mon, 22 Mar 2010 at 17:50...

Popey (not to be confused with Popeye) re-introduced papal red slippers, can you prove he doesn't like a glass of green? I suppose not...QED.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 at 08:51...

Is that a reductio ad absurdum, or in your case rectum and absurdum? I doubt the Pope drinks absinthe, even if he does, he is hardly a famous absinthe drinker! Do you propose that his theology (and that of 21st century catholicism) has been influenced by absinthe?

Ode said on Thu, 25 Mar 2010 at 20:08...

Oscar Wilde? Once called "A terrible absinthe-drinker, through which he got his visions and desires" && he also smoked opium infused Egyptian cigarettes :-) made that famous remark about tulips brushing his legs after drinking absinthe. Quite a geezer...

Captain Cronk said on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 at 10:23...

To suggest that Popeye was an absinthe drinker is absurd! Everyone knows that he liked spinach infused vodka (spodka)

Old Nick said on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 at 07:42...

Popeye, Pope Benedict XVI and Peter Belli and the Boom Boom Brothers may all have taken absinthe, but none are FAMOUS absinthe drinkers. Re: Spodka, this is the way urban myths start, Captain! lol

ty9 said on Thu, 1 Apr 2010 at 06:45...

<sigh>pope, popeye and spinach vodka --like something out of a bad dream. Nobody even mentioned van Gogh or Picasso!

La Fee Vertigo said on Mon, 5 Apr 2010 at 10:50...

Shocking 'aint it, Timbo. No sight of Charles Baudelaire or Marilyn Manson either. My favourite famous absinthe drinker is Johnny Depp, whyso I hear you ask....

Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do
I have a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-dee
If you are wise, you'll listen to me

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 6 Apr 2010 at 08:52...

If you are wise, you won't. Johnny Depp was in From Hell (filmed in Prague) where he set fire to a glass of absinthe. The Oompa Loompa were not involved in absinthe drinking as far as I know.

Old Nick said on Wed, 7 Apr 2010 at 11:55...

I wouldn't put it past them ;-) They scare my granddaughter so I am not a fan.

ty9 said on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 at 13:37...

What about Tolouse Lautrec?

La Fee Vertigo said on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 at 08:18...

Henri Marie Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa to you. Try his *earthquake* absinthe cocktail and remember your place

3 parts Absinthe
3 parts Cognac

I prefer another disaster based cocktail.

ty9 said on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 at 09:27...

I hate to ask.....what is it then? Thanks for the etiquette tip!

Old Nick said on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 at 16:59...

Maybe "The Hindenburg" ;-) Two parts berry schapps, one part absinthe, and a squeeze of lime.

La Fee Vertigo said on Tue, 25 May 2010 at 16:43...

Did Rasputin drink absinthe?

ty9 said on Wed, 1 Aug 2012 at 20:01...

In the year 2000 Marilyn Manson claims he and Johnny Depp "bought every case of absinthe they had in Prague.”....

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.