Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

"Absente" and "Rustic" brands

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Shak
on Thu, 7 Jan 2010 at 04:51

Shak said on Thu, 7 Jan 2010 at 04:51...

anybody know these? Bought Absente (Domaine de Provence) in Paris. 55% alcohol, pic of Vincent on the box (but not the bottle), really really tasty. Or is just my naivete and the anise talking?

Bought Rustic (Republica Checa) in Mexico. Vincent on the bottle, not box. pale green, bunch of grungy foliage sulking at the bottom, 70% alcohol. Vile, vile tasting stuff. Tastes like valerian with only the tiniest hint of anise But wait...now that I've finished my drink (ice water, sugar cube, blah blah) it doesn't taste nearly so bad. In fact, I'm considering another...

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Thu, 7 Jan 2010 at 13:08...

lol

Old Vince pops up on many bottles of absinthe, does it say on the bottle who makes Rustic? Did you have that second glass, Shak? Where are you now ;-)

Anonymous said on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 at 16:48...

By "Old Vince" I assume that you make reference to Vincent Willem van Gogh. (pron. "van" (like a car that you put stuff in) & "go" (as in go - go dancer))

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 at 10:04...

Isn't it Gogh (as in cough)?

Anonymous said on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 at 10:41...

No, Gogh: BOW as in bow tie, LOW as in low life, TOE as in toe rag.

lol

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 at 23:07...

Trust you to lower the tone.

ty9 said on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 at 09:34...

Don't take the bait, prof (as in Gogh) Ignoring the troll, never heard of Rustic!
Bow ties are this years fashion must have for 1910.

Megan said on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 at 02:11...

but absente isn't real absinthe, is it? or maybe the french version is different??

Komo said on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 at 22:32...

Absente was made with southern wormwood (not grande wormwood) but now I think it has a new name? There is a US variety and a French variety.

Gabs said on Mon, 17 Jan 2011 at 03:22...

hey could you please keep up with the disccusion ........ i just bought a bottle of rustic absinth and im still wondering if its any good

Chica said on Tue, 1 Feb 2011 at 02:41...

Just Bought a Bottle and think it is rather good. I'm sure in a good cocktail it would be wonderful. As to the authenticity of the Absinth I have no idea, i just know i got a very good buzz on it!

amy said on Fri, 20 May 2011 at 22:33...

i just tried "absente" and my bottle says it now contains grande wormwood (artemisia absinthium) rather than the southern variety it used to. so, methinks it is genuine absinthe now (despite the fact that the fellow at the liquor store said that "absente" meant it wasn't real...he was so insistent i did not bother trying to tell him that in this case it was simply the brand name). i'm not sure of the quality of this absinthe as i have yet to try a fancy brand, but i plan to compare in the future. i will say that in my own limited opinion, both the taste and effect of this brand was surprisingly pleasant!

Larry said on Wed, 1 Jun 2011 at 00:46...

I want some real mescale

Larry said on Wed, 1 Jun 2011 at 00:46...

(sp)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.