Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Real Absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR
on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 at 19:06

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 at 19:06...

What would you say constitutes real absinthe? Wormwood? Is there any such thing as real absinthe actually? I do not think history provides that answer. Real absinthe is....

CaptainCronk said on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 at 11:08...

Real absinthe?

1. It must contain ARTEMISIA ABSINTHIUM and thujone. Not a copy herb like Southern Wormwood or have the thujone taken out using chemicals.

2.Must have high alcohol proof.

3. Fennel and anise I understand

Anonymous said on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 at 16:26...

There is no such thing as "real absinthe"!!!!!!!!! It is a term invented by modern absinthe producers to diss their competitors. If you believe in real absinthe then maybe you also belive in the master race.

ty9 said on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 at 09:30...

I believe in John Burton Race. Diss? You mean the place in Norfolk? Real absinthe should louche shouldn't it?

Old Nick said on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 at 08:54...

Louching is not necassrily a sign of real absinthe or of high quality. It basically means that there is a lot of anise (licorice) OR that there is some modern chemical being used. Yes, the louche can be created with a colourant :-( Wormwood will create a yellow tinted louche when the plant is packed with natures bounty.

ty9 said on Mon, 23 Mar 2009 at 22:52...

I once had a bottle of HG absinthe and many guys say that is the only real absinthe. It was likely above 150mg thujone (according to the recipe) and it had a louche like a golden cream. Amazing! I saved the last drop for ages and drank it on my birthday.

Anonymous said on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 at 09:30...

Hausgemacht absinthe? That is about as near as you can get to real absinthe I agree.

green angel said on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 at 12:08...

but only if you live in New Zealand where home distillation is legal. It is true that many producers say my product is real absinthe and this one is not etc. I do not like that actually, everyone has different taste don't they? Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some :-)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.