Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Obsello Absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by ty9
on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 at 22:31

ty9 said on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 at 22:31...

Anyone ever watch those info commercials that play on cable TV? Take a look at this:

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2009-03-0311-002.shtml

"Where some of the more notorious brands are fading along with their brief moment in the spotlight, we think this is just the beginning for Obsello."

"We think we have given consumers something they have wanted for a long time: head-turning taste and unforgettable experience."

"If any absinthe will outlive its fifteen minutes of fame, it will be this one. People loved it!"

WOW! Buy now...what a ghastly display of vulgar OTT hype :-( Is Obsello absinthe actually any good or is this just a load of hot air?

Old Nick said on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 at 09:21...

It is an OK absinthe, that's it. I do not recognise "head-turning taste" or "unforgettable experience" though. Looks like a PR man gone mad and I wonder which are the notorious brands in the US? "their brief moment in the spotlight" oooh feel the spite. I will avoid Obsello on the basis of this.

Old Nick said on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 at 09:36...

Holy macaroni! Just looked and there is loads of this hype-spite all over the place.

"Obsello, an authentic Spanish absinthe verte, is quickly becoming recognized as the highest quality absinthe available to U.S. consumers"

Oh really? Nice of them to let us know.

"At a time when U.S. consumers are getting bombarded by questionable, sub-par “absinthe like” products, Obsello offers consumers a taste of quality, artisan authenticity."

More nastiness and mud slinging from Obsello Absinthe. Very bad form to bad mouth competitor products in a press release. It is also against the rules of US trade I think. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, yes?

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 at 19:42...

10 across: Those that need to make a lot of noise by shouting about their wares in a public place. Fishwife? The Obsello Fishwife by Bert Bilge.

ty9 said on Sat, 14 Mar 2009 at 06:38...

:-(

BREAKING NEWS: "U.S. Demand for Authentic European Absinthe Triggers Rush on Obsello Spanish Absinthe" OH MY GOD!!!!! Will there be enough? It is the absinthe equivalent of a bank run!!!!!!

"an onslaught of return and repeat buyers. The expansion the company has seen since entering the U.S. market has been on an exponential curve with cases sold rising no less than 1,000 percent each week" I simply must have some then!!! 1000% not

:-( :-(

Anonymous said on Sat, 14 Mar 2009 at 20:25...

Some people seem to like it.....

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4811

"We also provide guidance for spirits industry members who desire to produce and market authentic absinthe" Paid consultancy perhaps?

Old Nick said on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 at 09:57...

makes it look like "news".............
http://enewschannels.com/2009/03/13/enc6227_184707.php

"Obsello invites you to taste absinthe again for the first time." Like Obsello Absinthe are the only ones making absinthe today. Dear me......

PS: Anonymous, no Wormwood Society style flame wars (of which your post looks like an opening salvo) here please.

Neil Curtis said on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 at 21:27...

Business is business I guess....

Old Nick said on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 at 10:06...

but this is about as "in your face" as it gets, like a beach hawker in Goa. One wonders what Obsello will come up with next? The absinthe circus is in town....:-(

Anonymous said on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 at 19:50...

They are full of poop. The website says that Obsello contains a "respectable amount of thujone" It has to be less than 10 pppm or they could not sell it in the States. It is Obsello Absinthe hysteria time guys.

CaptainCronk said on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 at 11:11...

"like a beach hawker in Goa:" hahaha...:-)

green angel said on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 at 17:11...

I tried Obsello and I can tell you it is nothing special

Anonymous said on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 at 16:28...

Now why doesn't that surprise me....empty vessels make the most noise.

ty9 said on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 at 09:26...

B. Alex makes not only Obsello but also Barcelona Gin. This is the gin that the world has been waiting for, only 5 bottles per household, the great Barcelona Gin stampede etcetera, etcetera. Buy now why stocks last.

CaptainCronk said on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 at 12:35...

that's right. The bottle reads: "Distilled in the Kingdom of Spain" Pretensious, moi? lol It is an "aventurous new gin from the gold medal winning distiller B.Alex"

Old Nick said on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 at 09:00...

It sounds better than "Distiiled in Spain" and to be fair I must say that Obsello are very good at artwork. B.Nice now....

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 at 18:52...

Buenos Nachos, did you know that Obsello is a mere 50% ABV? rather low for an absinthe! When you think about absinthes with 70% and Hapsburg with 89.9% Now dilute to water at a proper ratio and you have one weak little pussycat.

THEPROF.

green angel said on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 at 12:15...

Obsello absinthe just won second prize in a San Fransisco spirits competition (the award is not highly regarded by those in the know) You can expect that your google reader will be full of it shortly :-( You rate absinthe by alcohlic strength, Professor?

ty9 said on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 at 20:19...

Some people drink absinthe to get drunk (so I have heard anyway)

Champ said on Sun, 19 Apr 2009 at 10:06...

Gary Vanerchuk on winetv was drinking three kinds of absinthe, the obsello he spat in a bowl although he said he like it later

Anonymous said on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 at 16:39...

Vanerchuks trademark along with his "exciteability"....

jaysthename said on Sun, 2 Aug 2009 at 23:29...

For the record, I like Obsello, although it is not in my top 5 of absinthes. Nevertheless, I think some of you are being unnecessarily harsh.

First of all, let me state that I'm not in the absinthe industry and have no incentive (financial or otherwise) to shill for any brand.

So, having said that, I want to point out that many of you have not read Obsello's marketing blurbs very carefully. They are not bashing U.S. brands, but rather some absinthes (and "absinthe-like" products) which are available to U.S. consumers, which is not the same thing. Far from being mudslinging, I applaud Obsello for addressing the fact that there are some inferior beverages proclaiming themselves to be true absinthes when in fact they are not. (Do your research to find out which those are, and why they are not real absinthe).

As for Obsello attempting to sell their product with some over-the-top prose and accolades, that much is true, but hardly unusual in the world we live in. Obsello should not be singled out for criticism for practices which are commonplace and accepted in our culture (and in the Belle Epoque culture in which absinthe first became popular).

Nels said on Wed, 2 Dec 2009 at 07:33...

I agree with Jay, it's some what less offensive than other absinthe s, and if you're inviting someone to the ritual for the first time, it's good to have in your store. I didn't know of any of the hype when trying it, It was couriered in before bevmo was selling it. Tried it and thought it was decent.

And as far as alcohol content is concerned, if you're a 3 to 1 dilution it's fine. When absinthes prepared, it isn't supposed to have a bite. And if you're drinking hapsburg (or any other ridiculously green neon "absinthe" beverage) and claiming to enjoy "real" absinthe, you're mistaken, Czech stuff isn't real absinthe either, and you're probably lighting your sugar cubes on fire.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.