Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Wormwood Water - real old absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Old Nick
on Sun, 4 Jan 2009 at 09:33

Old Nick said on Sun, 4 Jan 2009 at 09:33...

Sin tastes at the first draught like wormwood water, But drunk again, 'tis nectar ever after. (II.ii.469-77) Women Beware Women, Thomas Middleton 1657

What is wormwood water? Older even than me and perhaps the original absinthe? A medicine:

Spiritus et Aqua Absynthii magis composita Or spirit and water of Wormwood, the greater composition

College : Take of common and Roman Wormwood, of each a pound; Sage, Mints, Bawm, of each two handfuls; the Roots of Galanga, Ginger, Calamus, Aromaticus, Elecampane, of each three drachms; Liquorice, an ounce, Raisins of the Sun stoned, three ounces, Annis seeds, and sweet Fennel seeds, of each three drachms; Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmegs, of each two drachms; Cardamoms, Cubebs, of each one drachm: let the things be cut that are to be cut, and the things be bruised that are to be bruised, all of them infused in twenty four pints of Spanish wine, for twenty four hours, then, distilled in an Alembick, adding two ounces of white sugar to every pint of distilled water.

According to another source:

This Water stops Vomiting, and provokes a good Appetite; it consumes and expels Wind, and strengthens the Stomach; wonderfully fortifying such as are of a cold and moist Nature, and Constitution; it diverts Melancholy, and prevents many of those Vapours, which otherwise would ascend to the Head for its disturbance; it easeth Gripes, and destroys Worms.

So now you know what to take to prevent the vapours :-)

Anonymous said on Thu, 29 Jan 2009 at 16:22...

Also known in some texts as "Wormwood Cordial" and a cordial is an obsolete medicine term.

:-) said on Mon, 8 Jun 2009 at 10:39...

So what the difference between Wormood Cordial / Wormwood Water and Extrait d' Absinthe from Mama Henriod?

Jim said on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 at 17:40...

Could I have Those ingredients in american measurements.
What is a drachm.

firestone said on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 at 11:20...

can you give me some more information please?
because i am interested in getting some more information about wormwood water.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.