Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Le Tourment Vert

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Mary in Vegas
on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 at 22:01

Mary in Vegas said on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 at 22:01...

Anyone tried Tourment Vert Absinthe? its at The Palms!

Old Nick said on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 at 10:19...

Mary, the bottle is a work of art! I think Le Tourment Vert means Green Torment, or is it torrent? I like that idea as it reminds me of the water cascading into the green liquid :-) Anyway it is a rather interesting absinthe. Tourment Verte is made with wormwood and also sage, coriander and rosemary. Hey! Isn't sage another of those herbs that contain thujone? According to what I have read it is distilled in a traditional cooper still. Not sure what it tastes like though...yet. I am looking forward to trying it as I like unusual absinthes. St George absinthe is made with stinging nettles and that is a favourite of mine.

I would be interested to know what you think of Le Tourment Verte.

Armagedon said on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 at 20:31...

why do they have such crazy names? if I go to the store today and ask I guess I have forgetten already Tourment Vert or whatever. They should name it something that drunks can remember :-)

AndyWong said on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 at 09:12...

where you can buy Tourment Verte ? is it sold in Atlanta?

cavaleiras said on Sun, 6 Jul 2008 at 10:50...

I tried it at an absinthe party but I prefer the Kubler..they said Tourment Vert is good for cocktails like Death in the Afternnon

Janet said on Fri, 8 Aug 2008 at 21:59...

I agree le tourment vert is great in cocktails. My local bar served some the other night and the group of us really enjoyed them. They had some promotion on and we drank gargoyles.

I know it is in Atlanta, I have a friend who bought some, so I am sure you will be able to find it.

LTV said on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 at 19:36...

info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Tourment_Vert

Native2 said on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 at 19:05...

This was in the New York Times today about Le Tourment Vert :--->

"The soft green absinthe turned milky, as with a pastis, yet it was far more complex. Licorice notes dominated, of course, but they were surrounded by the aromas and flavors of the other herbs used in this particular recipe. An inherent sweetness in the absinthe made it unnecessary to incorporate a sugar cube into the process, as the storied ritual requires....Actually, it was among the most satisfying digestifs that I can remember.

Janet said on Fri, 7 Nov 2008 at 20:00...

and now it is on a website.

www.letourmentvert.com with some new cocktail ideas

Anonymous said on Mon, 8 Dec 2008 at 17:01...

Le Tourment Vert has not too much anise but plenty fennel, sage, and a kind of "menthol-eucalyptus-mint" tatste...very refreshing I would say.

DeAnna said on Tue, 9 Dec 2008 at 05:17...

I am finding tourment at some of the bars I have been to lately. I haven't drunk absinthe before so I can't compare it to anything. I have only had le tourment mixed, and I really liked it.

ryan said on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 at 06:11...

tourment is crap. the louche is terrible. A little milky but the green food coloring ruins it. decent absinthes can be found in america now, but that is not one of them.

Janet said on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 at 16:59...

Ryan - you are entitled to your opinion - thank you, but remember saying something is crap is only what you think of it so don't offend others by making such a broad statement when it is only your opinion, not a fact. I like it and I have a few friends who also enjoy it and it appears so do others on here. I also don't care about a louche - that doesn't make the flavor for me so whether it does or not doesn't make any difference to the taste. I have tried other absinthes and I personally haven't enjoyed the overly strong flavors. St George was probably more to my liking than any others I have found, Lucid & Kubler were not drinks I enjoyed at all, but each to their own.

Babe said on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 at 21:10...

Very rude! Le Tourment Vert is not crap IN MY OPINION. There are some people (Wormwood Society) who spread this kind of talk. Ryan is most likely one of them.

Le_swill said on Mon, 23 Mar 2009 at 01:11...

Honestly people, LTV is a very low-grade liquor. It is by no means absinthe!
It is a pathetic attempt at quickly sopping up the $$$ while the fad phase of the US post-ban is still red hot. I've seen LTV in a few different stores in the metro NOLA area. First time I saw it, the price was $55. last time, it was $35. It is slowly being phased out due to it's inferiority.
If you're seeking a good off-the-shelf absinthe, I guarantee you will find Lucid far superior. At 50-55 guidos, you cant beat the value.

If you got the cash, order some clandestine or just about anything from Jade Liquors.

Old Nick said on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 at 13:48...

Thank you for your hate filled and spiteful post, Le_swill. I find it very interesting that you are also recommending 3 particular brands. Here is a competition for readers: what do the three brands that Le_swill mentions have in common?

ty9 said on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 at 20:17...

they all have a common distributor? Although that doesn't mean Le_swill is a shill. He certainly doesn't like Le Tourment Vert though. "It is slowly being phased out due to it's inferiority" I doubt that!

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Thu, 4 Jun 2009 at 15:16...

It is not being "phased out"! Where do these people come from! Le Tourment Vertis now available on Virgin Airlines! According to Nick the cocktail "Mile High" is refreshing and cools the nerves.

ty9 said on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 at 10:42...

Had it. It tastes very refreshing in a cocktail. Le Tourment Vert on its own is like a minty herbal candy floss, very unusual. It is made for the modern American taste buds.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.