Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Drinking Absinthe

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Bb2
on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 at 21:16

Bb2 said on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 at 21:16...

A quick question: how much water should i add? I just bought absinthe and a spoon was on the package. I believe that you should add water through the spoon with a sugar cube to make a looche, right?

Old Nick said on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 at 13:34...

Hi, the correct ratio of absinthe to water is matter of taste. Start out with 1:3 and go up to 1:5 and see which you prefer. You should add the water very slowly in a gentle and constant trickle to watch the clouding effect, or louche. There are many devices like an absinthe fountain or dripper that have been designed to make this easier, but a good old water jug will suffice :-) Using a sugar cube and spoon is also a matter of taste....some people find absinthe too bitter and some do not. The sugar has no effect whatsoever on the louche and I personally never add it.
Enjoy.

MsJekYll said on Sat, 14 Jun 2008 at 15:04...

"I personally never add (sugar)."

That's a matter of preference Nick. Your taste buds may have been "trained" to that subtle bitterness by now (mine are), but I have found that most newcomers to absinthe can use some sugar... That's why they've pre-sweetened Lucid. I'm not too sure how much the Lucid guys know or care about traditional absinthe making, but they sure know their market.

AndyWong said on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 at 09:15...

what about setting absinthe on fire? looks cool

Anonymous said on Wed, 9 Jul 2008 at 01:47...

fire!..........yeah, tried that in france a couple of years back. what a night!!

Mike said on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 at 00:38...

Andy: "what about setting absinthe on fire? looks cool"

There are three absinthe drinking methods apparently... or four if you count absinthe flavored chocolate :-)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.