Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Pelinkovac anyone?

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by ty9
on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 at 15:58

ty9 said on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 at 15:58...

Last Sunday I was presented with a gift of "Croatian Absinthe" I only just got round to inspecting the bottle and was surprised to see that it is a herbal brew called Pelinkovac! Should I tread with caution? :-)

La Fee Vertigo said on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 at 08:05...

It is less than 35 so you'll be alright.... it is macerated (in barrels) wormwood. Was it a party favor?

ty9 said on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 at 16:00...

I don't know what a party favor is. It was a gift at a barbeque party (anniversary). 35 abv you mean? Have you tried pelinkovac? It is like Jagermesiter.

La Fee Vertigo said on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 at 07:30...

A party favor is something that you give to guests as they leave your celebration. It is a reminder of the good time that they had. I like to give my guests a small poem, a Memento Mori. Pelin (wormwood) O' Vac is a liqeur? There is something similar in Hungary called Zwack.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 at 17:57...

Do you also hand out malaprops or are you just being obtuse?

La Fee Vertigo said on Sun, 2 Sep 2012 at 08:27...

I hope you enjoyed the party I gave,
Whilst we wait in line before the grave

We walk alone on life's tear soaked path
Empty husks awaiting celestial wrath

Make whimsy, drink thy fill, be lewd
We all are destined to be worm food.

ty9 said on Mon, 3 Sep 2012 at 19:14...

Very drole <sigh> I get the impression that pelinkovac is more medicinal than pleasurable.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 4 Sep 2012 at 09:43...

Historically there were all sorts of wormwood based medical liquors around Europe. There are even some which are uniquely attributed to one doctor at such and such spa. Drink the waters and take the potion was the idea. The alcohol being merely a means of preserving (&/or extracting) the herbal properties needed for health. Zwack, as the cream-faced loon mentions, is one and Becherovka another.

Old Nick said on Wed, 5 Sep 2012 at 07:16...

A tonic called Vin Tonique Mariani, or Vin Vin Mariani, belongs in this category. It contained the extract of coca leaves!! The alcohol was used to macerate the plant leaving a 6-7 mg level of the resulting stimulant. What is astonishing is that Queen Victoria used to drink it, and, I say with some trepidation, the Pope.

La Fee Vertigo said on Thu, 6 Sep 2012 at 14:53...

Someone will not be pleased about this reference to Il Duce!

slovenka said on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 at 18:45...

I apologize if my english is bad, but i want to share an interesting tradition in my country. In Slovenija christian on easter day traditionaly drink white wine and in each glass they put pelinkovec-wormwood. First the wormwood is taken to chirch to be blessed, then it is roled in between your hands and dropped in white wine. My grandma told me that the purpose of this is so you can feel the pain of jesus and if you are a person pf grait pain he (jesus) will sent angles to comfort you.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.