Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

"I love absinthe, but it can be very brash"

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by ty9
on Sat, 7 Apr 2012 at 08:31

ty9 said on Sat, 7 Apr 2012 at 08:31...

So says Michael Simon of Arcadia Bar, Chicago. Now how does Simon suggest getting rid of that pesky "brash" quality?

Here's how:

1. make absinthe ice cubes - half the alcohol is removed
2. strain the cubes over chartreuse + a krauter likor called Bitter Truth EXR + orange bitters
3. top with "osmanthus-tea soda" lol

Voila!

"the finished product is light, herbaceous and slightly sweet. And as the ice melts, the anise notes from the absinthe grow more noticeable"

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Mon, 9 Apr 2012 at 19:34...

Of course those anise notes are the defining part of absinthe (a beverage named after one plant, Pimpinella ANISUM....agh wait I'm wrong it is WORMWWOD...artemisia ABSINTHIUM) That brash quality is down to the wormwood oils and the inexperience of the distiller. Poncing about with ice cubes and other dribbles is no answer. Pass the osmanthus tea!

La Fee Vertigo said on Fri, 13 Apr 2012 at 11:01...

brash lol sounds like a 1920s comedy of manners quote. "She's quite a sort you know, but can be rather brash after a hour or two in the saddle"

BUT....these bizarre absinthe mixologist ( posh bartender) creations can be quite a revelation. Don't knock it unless you've tried it? Not sure... It seems absinthe is a complex drink at it's finest, and needs no conductor (nor orchestra of loud instruments) to put a twist on Nature.

AbsintheFan said on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 at 15:26...

<<he anise notes from the absinthe grow>>

then only reason to drink abisnthe is to taste the anise (love that funky anise) my wife says so why the @#*% don't you drink Ouzo! As if...and do without the fancy French labels....no way. I drink to impress the neighbors and boast about it at work, it makes me feel good about myself. YEAH i drink *%#@&%$ absinthe!!!!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.