Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

Wormwood Effects

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Rory Macdonald
on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 at 10:38

Rory Macdonald said on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 at 10:38...

I have some wormwood growing in my yard! How do you get the effects of wormwood? is a tea the same or must you brew it in liquor to get the best effect. Another question: is it possible to make wine with this herb? I try to think of some ways to try it out

Thanks

ty9 said on Sun, 12 Feb 2012 at 09:54...

There is a tradition of making "absinthe wine" whether that's for the effect of the wormwood is open to debate. The name for this wine is Vin pelin and it dates back to the Ancients. Roman wine was not very enjoyable, by modern standards, so perhaps this wine used wormwood for effects and not flavour! Non scio :-)

Holy Joe said on Wed, 15 Feb 2012 at 08:18...

Ever notice the effect where vision gets glittery and there is a sensation of slow motion. Only happens with wormwood.

Old Nick said on Wed, 15 Feb 2012 at 17:52...

Wasn't the OP talking about the medicinal effects? The 'ol glitter eyes effect sometimes called "chasing the fairy" (the light dances and moves rapidly) is an absinthe, rather than a wormwood, effect. Somebody a while back reported that wormwood tea was best enjoyed with a pizza, so there you are.

Tante Leen said on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 at 11:34...

Wormwood is used for it's effect on intestinal disorders traditionally, they also used to scatter it all about to get fleas from the house. Wormwood & alcohol have divergent effects and this is the basis of absinthe's notorious popularity. I don't think I will be trying wormwood tea anytime soon, no wormwood flavored cake pour moi aussi.

La Fee Vertigo said on Wed, 22 Feb 2012 at 21:06...

"'ol glitter eyes" sounds like a jaded bar fly circa 1950. You should start from the basic question.....if absinthe has more wormwood does it have more effect. Well...

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 at 17:10...

You imply it does, i.e more wormwood = more effect?

La Fee Vertigo said on Tue, 28 Feb 2012 at 18:24...

If wormwood has an effect (within alcohol only) then surely the more you have...the more effect (or maybe not!)

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Thu, 1 Mar 2012 at 10:35...

The absinthe effect is caused because thujone, a natural element in
real grande wormwood, operates in opposition to alcohol. The effect itself is very individual and difficult to describe, but it's basically something like heightened clarity of mind and vision. You do not need to drink a lot, no more than one or two glasses to feel the effect, and the length of time really depends on the individual, this is about the natural elements working to counteract the normal effects of alcohol. If your glass is jam packed with wormwood will you necessarily experience more effect. Not necessarily, but it might be ratehr bitter. It depends on the QUALITY of the wormwood, the quality of the wormwood can actually be measured by its thujone level. Thujone is just a natural defence created by the plant, which brings us back to the medicinal root of absinthe as a drink.

Old Nick said on Fri, 2 Mar 2012 at 09:40...

When AA wormwood is grown at high altitude such as in the Alps it contains more thujone. I am curious about Artemisia rupestris in this respect, I assume this is thujone bearing?

Maurice said on Sun, 18 Mar 2012 at 11:48...

is it true that wormood also effects the other plants in the vicinity? I heard that its because of a substance in the roots. perhaps that's why wormwood got kicked out of the Garden of Eden.

THEABSINTHEPROFESSOR said on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 at 08:40...

Whatever one sows, that will he also reap. Wormwood grew from the serpents tracks according to legend. Plant wormwood around the edge of your garden and AWAY from other plants....it is good a getting rid of annoying weeds on the periphery.

herbal_magic said on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 at 10:56...

In very early texts from about 1808-1810 they often mention "these narcotic effects" of grande wormwood. The odor was thought to bring on a state of confusion and those ales (purl etc) that used wormwood were known to be "more intoxicating" The beer was not stronger but it contained Artemisia absinthium!

Wormwood was also used in a medicine called The Duke of Portland's Powder. If you look up this long forgotten potion in The London Medical Dictionary you will see that it is reputed to have "a narcotic power" on account of the wormwood.

CreepinOut said on Fri, 7 Sep 2012 at 20:47...

This may be an off-base question. I have crawling skin & did some research & found-out that if I take caps( I have to make myself) of wormwood,clove & black walnut, than I'll kill whatevers either in or on me. The thing is I drink beer & a shot on occassion & I was wondering if I'm taking wormwood & drink a beer will I be a mess? I'm not looking to get messed-up- just trying to cure myself.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.