Absinthe - A guide to the Green Fairy Absinthe Forum About MsJekyll

BAD IDEA: Wormwood Tea on a low fat diet!!!

Posted on MsJekYll'z Absinthe Forum

Topic created by Pearlchaser
on Sat, 18 Apr 2009 at 13:03

Pearlchaser said on Sat, 18 Apr 2009 at 13:03...

I just discovered what absinthe is, and that it is making a come back, last week. Strangely enough, I had tried wormwood tea just a few days before. (I make it a point to try something new every week.)

The tea is absolutely the most bitter thing I've ever tasted, but I washed it down with some tequila and enjoyed a strange, mild buzz. No problems there.

Trouble is I'm a vegetarian, who normally eats a low fat diet, currently losing weight for spring. This means that I am on an extremely low fat diet, ~ 30 g per day.

What I didn't know is that wormwood significantly increases bile production. To make matters worse, I'm also a chile-head who is taking arthritis medication for my knee. (The medication turns acidic in the stomach.)

Without any fat to absorb the bile, the wormwood tea -- in combination with acidic medication, tequila, and about a cup of the hottest fresh salsa in So. CA -- put me through one of the most painful weeks of my life. The resulting mixture made me bleed from a place not mentioned in polite conversation - for an entire week!

Word to the wise, eat some pizza if you're going to try wormwood tea. (I don't know if this applies to properly distilled absinthe, but it would apply to wormwood-infused drinks.)

Anonymous said on Sat, 25 Apr 2009 at 17:33...

Fruitcake? I always eat a little when drinking absinthe...

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Butterfly

Copyright © 1997-2009 MsJekYll
Dancing with the Green Fairy.
Since 1997.